Jump to content
Music Box Alpha Forums

Program won't start. Doesn't show up in task manager.


JHub87
 Share

Recommended Posts

I tried opening up musicbox yesterday, and it wouldn't start and wasn't showing up in the task manager.  The hourglass just turns a couple times and then disappears.  From reading the forums it looks like if I uninstall and clean out the directories it should fix itself when I reinstall it.  Is that still the procedure to follow?

 

I've put a lot of work into setting up all my artist images, favorites, and band names.  I DON'T want to loose any of it, so I want to know what folders and files I need to save.   After the clean install please let me know what the next steps are.  Thanks in advance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You could try a few things:

  • Try a restart of your computer and check if that helps
  • If not, go into your Music Box Alpha\Updates folder and try and run the latest installer in there (if nothing is in there, you can always request the latest installed from here: https://www.musicboxalpha.com/download ) - Install it overtop your current installation (double check your destination location before hitting Next, it's easy to mistakenly install a second copy inside of your current one: like MusicBoxAlpha\MusicBoxAlpha )

Hopefully the program will once again load for you and you will see all your music.

Note that your personal data information is within the Data folder, and your images are within the Images folder. They should not be touched with any of the steps. You also have a Backups folder, which contains snapshots of your Data folder just in case your data gets corrupted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, faeran said:

You could try a few things:

  • Try a restart of your computer and check if that helps
  • If not, go into your Music Box Alpha\Updates folder and try and run the latest installer in there (if nothing is in there, you can always request the latest installed from here: https://www.musicboxalpha.com/download ) - Install it overtop your current installation (double check your destination location before hitting Next, it's easy to mistakenly install a second copy inside of your current one: like MusicBoxAlpha\MusicBoxAlpha )

Hopefully the program will once again load for you and you will see all your music.

Note that your personal data information is within the Data folder, and your images are within the Images folder. They should not be touched with any of the steps. You also have a Backups folder, which contains snapshots of your Data folder just in case your data gets corrupted.

Thank you, but neither of those suggestions worked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JHub87 said:

Thank you, but neither of those suggestions worked.

I'd recommend installing a second instance of Music Box Alpha, that will help determine if it's a computer issue or a data issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/28/2022 at 10:50 AM, faeran said:

I'd recommend installing a second instance of Music Box Alpha, that will help determine if it's a computer issue or a data issue.

The Second Install works fine!  So, what's next?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was on a roll and just went for it.  I took a backup of the backup, data, and images folders.  Then I Had to uninstall the program and completely delete the folder with everything left in it.  after that I took the backups and placed them in the new data folder renamed them, dragged the images folder over, and it's working again!

 

Thank you for your help!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, JHub87 said:

I was on a roll and just went for it.  I took a backup of the backup, data, and images folders.  Then I Had to uninstall the program and completely delete the folder with everything left in it.  after that I took the backups and placed them in the new data folder renamed them, dragged the images folder over, and it's working again!

 

Thank you for your help!

Glad it worked out!

For anyone reading this in the future. You can have multiple versions of the program installed on your computer at the same time, so probably don't need to uninstall the version of the program that's not working. Copying your Data and Images folders to the working version of Music Box Alpha would have probably been sufficient.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...